Buckwheat Nut Brittle
This healthier brittle recipe is free from refined sugar and is naturally sweetened with honey and vanilla. The recipe is packed full of fibre, protein and healthy fats. Try it for breakfast with milk or yoghurt, or for a quick and tasty on the go snack!Serves: 4-6
Time: 30-45 mins
- roasting tray
- mixing bowl
- 3tbsp of coconut oil
- 6 tbsp of honey
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 80g buckwheat groats
- 100g of nuts of choice e.g. brazil nuts, cashew nuts, pecans
- 50g seeds
- 50g quinoa flakes/rolled oats
- ¼ tsp of salt
- Preheat your oven to 180C and line a baking tray with parchment
- Roughly chop the nuts and seeds or pulse in a food processor so that you have smaller chunks.
- Melt the coconut oil and honey in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, once bubbling add in the vanilla extract. Remove from the heat and add in the buckwheat, nuts and seeds and oat and salt, stir well.
- Tip onto your baking sheet and spread out evenly using a spatula or palette knife.
- Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes, checking halfway through. You want the brittle to be a deep golden colour which can take anywhere from 10-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Once cool, break the brittle into pieces and enjoy!
- The brittle should keep for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.