Seasonal Paleo Bacon, Leek and Wild Garlic Quiche
A wonderful paleo take on a family favourite! Using almond flour to create a deliciously light, crisp and dense base to case the wonderful flavours that are within!
Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- 9 inch pie tin
- chopping board
- frying pan
- blender/ food processor
For the crust:For the filling:
- 5 eggs
- 150ml of plant based milk/ full fat coconut milk
- 5 rashes of nitrate free bacon, cut into 2inch chunks
- 2 leeks finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 150g wild garlic (few large handfuls)
- 2tbsp of nutritional yeast (optional)
- Salt & pepper
For the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a 9inch pastry tin.
- Add all the quiche crust ingredients to a blender apart from the egg and pulse to create thick crumbs. Then add in your egg and pulse into a dough.
- Gather the dough into a ball and leave to chill for 30 minutes (optional)
- To get your dough into the tin the easiest way to do this is by pressing the dough into the dish with your hands or with a piece of parchment paper. Alternatively you can roll your dough out into a circle between 2 sheets of baking paper.
- Once pressed into the dish,gently pierce the dough with a fork all over so it does not puff up when baking.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until partially cooked.
For the filling:
- Heat a frying pan with olive oil or ghee over a medium high heat and add in your bacon. Cook for around 7 minutes until browned and crispy. Drain the bacon, leaving a little bit of fan in the pan.
- Add in your diced leeks and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook on a medium heat for 5minutes until soft. Stir in your wild garlic and cook until wilted. Set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together your eggs and milk. Then add in your cooked veg and bacon along with the nutritional yeast if using. Stir well.
- Transfer to pre baked crust and cook in the oven for around 35 minute,until the crust is browned and filling is firm.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy! Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Products used: Nkd living almond flour, happy butter ghee/ olive oil, biona coconut milk, steenerg pepper, tiana cassava flour.