March: What's In Season
Here is our 'What's In Season' guide to the best seasonal produce throughout March.
March brings the start of a brand new season, the long awaited for return of spring. During the last few weeks of the winter months, the UK supports a slightly limited range of fruits, vegetables, herbs, fish, meat, poultry, game and cheeses to choose from.
The items available provide an incredibly hearty and for-filling selection for this month, with heaps of root veggies, dark leafy greens, rich meats and tasty cheeses which can be used to make nutritious stews, casseroles, soups and other healthy side dishes. With the start of fresh spring produce to look forward too soon.
Check out some of our favourite recipes using these items are linked below.
*With the best selection of imported items listed too*
- Kiwi fruit
- Lemons (end of main season)
- Oranges (end of main season)
- Passion fruit (end of season)
- Pomegranates (end of season)
- Cabbage (green, Spring greens)
- Celeriac (end of season)
- Leeks (end of season)
- Peppers (coming into season)
- Purple sprouting broccoli
- Shallots (end of season)
- Spinach (comes into season mid-March)
- Spring onions (coming into season)
Foraged / Wild foods:
- Nettle tops
- Wild garlic
- Clams (less sustainable)
- coley (less sustainable)
- Spider crab
- elvers (less sustainable)
- native oysters (less sustainable)
- red gurnard
- spotted ray
- lemon sole
- wild turbot
- wild salmon (less sustainable)
Meat, poultry and game:
- Rabbit (still available)
- Turkey (still available)
- Venison (wild red deer).
Always available in good condition: beef, chicken, pork, rabbit, farmed venison, wood pigeon.
- Cotherstone (crumbly, fresh cows’ milk cheese)
- ewe’s milk cheeses