Apple and Rhubarb Crumble
Is there any more perfect way to end an evening than with a scrumptious, homemade crumble? I think not! This recipe screams comfort and diversity. Feel free to switch up the fruits by adding in any seasonal berries you have waiting within your freezers!
- Oven set to 180 degrees.
- Saucepan with lid
- Weighing scales
- Mixing bowl
- Roasting dish
Ingredients:For the filling:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cooking apples (peeled and cored)
- 4 sticks of rhubarb
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 60g butter (or coconut oil to make the recipe vegan)
- 100g rolled oats
- 100g almond flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp flaxseed
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup
- To add sweetness to the crumble you can add 1 tbsp of honey, more maple syrup or a smaller quantity of sweetener.
- Start by pre heating the oven to 180 degrees.
- Warm the saucepan with the coconut oil in over a medium heat. Core and peel the apples. Cut them into small chunks and add them into the saucepan. As the apples are cooking cover them in lemon juice to prevent them browning. Cut off the top and tail of the rhubarb and chop into 1-2cm chunks and add into the saucepan alongside the apples. Add in the cinnamon and cook for 10mins until it is fully reduced.
- Whilst the filling is cooking, start to prepare the crumble top. Add the butter followed by the rolled oats and almond flour. Using the tips of your fingers gently rub the mixture together until you have a crumble like consistency. Add in the rest of the crumble ingredients and combine.
- Once everything is ready, place the filling into the baking dish, followed by the crumble top. Place into the oven to bake for 15-20mins until the top has browned
- Serve with cream, ice cream or on its own!