Moroccan Spiced Chickpea Burgers
These yummy burgers are a great way to add more pulses and spices to your diet! They are gluten free, fibre packed and so easy to put together, fantastic idea for a family week night dish.
Serves: 4 burgers
- Weighing scales
- Mixing bowl
- Frying pan
- Oven set to 180 degrees
- Baking tray
- Food processor (optional)
- 2 packets of chickpeas
- 80g of roasted red peppers (diced)
- 4 tbsp of Harrisa paste
- 3 tbsp of gluten free flour
- 1 tbsp of flaxseed
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 2 tbsp of apricot jam
- 1 handful of coriander (fresh or dried - if using dried reduce to 2 tsp)
- 2 tbsps of fresh lemon juice (and zest)
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1.5 tsp of garlic granules
- 1 tsp of onion granules
- 2 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Start by placing the chickpeas and harrisa paste into a bowl and use a fork to mash together (or if using a food processor pulse until you get a paste like consistency, try to leave a few bigger chunks).
- Add the rest of the ingredients in and pulse / blend well together. Add more flaxseed if the mixture is looking wet, add a drop more lemon if the mixture is looking a bit too dry. You should have a mouldable paste like consistency.
- Set the oven to 180 degrees, whilst it is heating allow the mixture a chance to rest and jel together (roughly 10 mins).
- Grease or line a baking tray.
- Use your hands to mould 4 roughly equal burgers, (Tip: keep a ball of warm water next to you to keep your hands from sticking to the mixture) roll into a ball like shape and then press down slightly to ensure you keep some thickness!
- Warm the frying pan with oil and cook each burger for 3 mins each side to create a lovely browned outside.
- Once they have been fried, place onto a baking tray and into the oven to bake for 20mins (flip halfway be careful not to break).
- Serve with side salad, tahini drizzle and fresh salsa! Enjoy!