No-Sugar Berry Chia Jam
This simple, homemade jam recipe contains no refined sugars, is bursting with real berry flavour and will make you question ever buying the pre-made stuff again. Chia seeds are a great source of high quality protein, full of fibre and rich in essential fats, making them a must have ingredient for those following a plant based diet. Plus, both chia seeds and berries are full of antioxidants which protect against the ageing process. Try adding this recipe to your morning porridge, toast or coconut yoghurt.
- Place the frozen fruit in a small saucepan and gently heat until not only thawed through but the fruit has begun to break down.
- Before the fruit turns into total mush, remove the saucepan from the heat, transfer the fruit mixture into a bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- Taste the fruit and add the maple syrup and lemon juice and zest to taste (more or less will be needed depending on the tartness of the fruit).
- Stir in the chia seeds, decant the mixture into a sterilised glass jar and once completely cooled store in the fridge overnight.
- The next day the chia jam will have set and is ready to use.
To safely sterilise a glass jar, clean the jar with hot soapy water, rinse, drain and place in a pre-heated oven at 120C for 10-15 minutes.
You can use a combination of blueberries, red currants, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, or alternatively stick with one fruit.
Recipe brought to you by the College of Naturopathic Medicine – The Health Coach Course